Saturday, August 30, 2014

My Last Working Day And ALICE

So this amazing summer is officially over now. I finished coding and said goodbye to my supervisor Luca and my colleagues yesterday. It feels so awkward. I feel like I came here yesterday. How come it's almost September?

Luca was a great supervisor. But I will elaborate on this later. Now I want to just mention the gifts I got from him. He got me the CERN helmet! And a book about CERN in French. I need to practice French more :) I wish I could stay here a little longer.

Wearing the CERN helmet!!!

After I returned my key and CERN card, I joined a group of Czech guys from CERN and other Swiss cities who visited CERN and ALICE. The visit to ALICE was great. It's older and smaller then CMS and it is designed to study a different physics, more about the Big Bang. We had a great barbecue afterwards and I ate way too much... I met a bunch of interesting people who work and study in Switzerland and it just made me feel like I want to go back at some point. We'll see what happens...

My own dosimeter
Old-school buttons
ALICE is so pretty!
Underground
Helmets, helmets everywhere :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, if you got the dosimeter, and what more it even shown something, you certainly had a much better visit than the official one, and I envy you... But actually ALICE is bigger than CMS! CMS is heaviest, but ALICE is the biggest (or tallest, if you will). ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dosimeter actually showed the same when we went there and when we came back :) But I think ATLAS is the biggest one. CMS and ALICE are almost the same.

      Delete
    2. I am so confused with myself that it actually starts to amaze me. No idea why I confused ALICE with ATLAS, but you're obviously right, and I actually meant ATLAS also. And yeah, visit to ALICE IS impressive, I confused that with ATLAS as well. I'll just... go... get some sleep...

      Delete